Charles is a restructuring and turnaround partner with Michelmores LLP in London, where he joined in 2005. He has more than 20 years' experience advising in connection with distressed financial situations. He provides advice to companies and their directors and stakeholders on a wide range of transactions. Charles has extensive experience of advising both in connection with large multi-national companies with multi-billion dollar, complex debt structures and smaller, domestic SMEs with the differing pressures that they bring.
Prior to joining Michelmores LLP, Charles was a senior associate for 7 years at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in their London office, which included a two-year secondment to their Singapore office. During his time at Freshfields he advised in numerous restructuring transactions including Garuda Indonesia, the Indonesian airline and Telewest Communications.
Since moving to Michelmores, his focus has continued to be on advising financially distressed borrowers through financial restructuring transactions. Such assignments have included, among others, Kew Green Hotels Limited and Nicholl Food
Recent matters that he has worked on include:
1. Advising one of the Respondents in the 'Waterfall II' application made by the administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) concerning the application of the multi-billion pound surplus.
2. Advising Deltafotovoltaica Issuer S.A,. the issuer of €180m bonds, raised for lending to 180 SPV companies for the construction and operation of a Spanish PV array, in connection with a consensual restructuring.
3. Advising KIMS Property group re the restructuring of its >£100m debts raised for the construction and operation of a private hospital.
4. Advising Ticketus in connection with the administration and liquidation of The Rangers Football Club.
5. Advising the board of a major international law firm re the financial position of the firm.
6. Advising New Earth Solutions Group Limited (waste and waste-to-energy) re its financial restructuring of its debts in excess of £100m
7. Advising the majority shareholders in the Mint Hotel Group re the restructuring of its £422m senior and mezzanine facilities, and associated disposal of the business.
8. Advising a major hotel chain in connection with the successful restructuring of its £127m senior and mezzanine debt obligations;
9. Advising Nicholl Food Packaging in connection with its three successful rounds of debt restructuring, converting mezzanine debt to equity and reducing senior debt from approximately £60m to £1.2m.
10. Advising Faith Shoes in connection with its restructuring and pre-packed administration.